Do you know about COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)?
What is COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)?
COPD is a disease of lungs, when your lungs goes damaged or worse it makes you hard to breathe. Two different diseases combine and made COPD.
First one is “Chronic Bronchitis” the way by which air passes to the lungs, got irritated and produces lot of mucus which blocks or narrow the way for air by which you feel hard to breathe.
Second one is “Emphysema” in which tiny air bags like balloon which forms small or big shape of balloon when we breathe, got damaged or worse and loose its feature of elasticity.
Which things cause COPD?
- Second hand smoking or passive smoking.
- Different kinds of chemical fumes or dust in mines.
- Air pollution.
- Genetically COPD or Inherited tendency.
What are the symptoms of COPD?
There are some main symptoms:
- Cough with mucus or phlegm which seems not to go or finish.
- Tightness of breathe while exercising or walking or any activity.
- Losing weight without try to lose it.
- Chest infection, especially in winter seasons.
What are the ways or process of diagnosing COPD?
If you find hard to breathe then contact to your doctor, he will take some tests and there are the main tests which taken for the detection of COPD or to find an infection in lungs or chest:
- Physical test.
- Heard your lungs.
- Asks you some question about you or your past related to your health or harmful activities related to your health.
- Spirometry test, a breathing test which checks whether your lung works well or not.
- X-Rays of Chest.
- Blood Test (rare cases).
How you can treat or slow down COPD?
You cannot cure from COPD or undo its effects because once it started it cannot undo or stop but, yes you can slow it down by reducing or finishing its symptoms. There are some treatments by which you can slow the COPD or finish its symptoms:
- Stop smoking (most important treatment and most recommended treatment by doctors).
- Physical Exercises.
- Healthy and nutrient diet.
- Oxygen therapy.